It’s been a rough couple of weeks and I am literally looking for good news today. If you clicked to read this based on the title, you’re probably looking for good news too. My current mental state is a result of recent human loss, hostility and uncertainty on a worldwide scale. Even the weather is depressing right now.
When good news is not flowing naturally, what else can I do but force myself to look for things to be thankful for? Hang on a minute…
OK I’m back. Here’s what I found:
- I have a wonderful family, with two kids I am extremely proud of.
- I have air in my lungs and strength in my hands to type this.
- My brother is recovering well from chemo round 2.
- I have a good job and colleagues that I admire and appreciate.
- I have the freedom to speak my mind or shut up when I want to.
- I can run 26.2 miles in less than 6 hours (gonna try to improve on that.)
- I’ve rediscovered true friends from my past in Facebook
- I have been humbled by generosity in the face of crisis
- My sense of humor is still intact
Let’s stop at 9, just to be different. There are so many more. I can sense you constructing your own list in your mind as you read mine, and that’s what I was hoping for.
Making a conscious effort to count your blessings will help you through dark times. It also helps to occasionally step away from the 24/7 news media and do a little of your own local reporting.